Here are some suggestions on things you can do to enhance and improve your home’s security and safety.
- Install motion sensor lights around your home at exterior doors and low windows.
- Have “dead bolts” installed on all exterior doors.
- If you leave your front porch lights on all night, when you will be away for more than a day, install automatic porch lights to go on and off at the same time as always.
- If feasible, have an “alarm” system installed.
- If leaving for more than a few days, give a friend all your contact information as well as the Police Department. Further, ask the local police department for a “Patrol Request” of your home while gone. Since we have such a small police force, you can also get a qualified security/alarm company to do drive-by checks on your home.
- Put inside lights on timers to turn on and off the normal times you do when home.
- Stop all paper and mail deliveries while gone.
- Have a camera system on all the doors in the home.
- Have an inventory of all valuables.
- Consider purchasing a safe to store valuables.
- Park vehicles in garage at night if possible. If not remove valuables and garage/gate openers and lock vehicles.
- Consider joining your Neighborhood Watch program in your NHOA.
These things might not work, so make sure have a list and identification/photos of all valuables in your home in case these things fail to stop a burglary.
The SRA wants you and your home to be safe and secure whether or not you are there!